Before all else — your health comes first. Before you can use the LAP-BAND® System to help you lose weight and live healthier, you need to qualify medically. This means being currently healthy enough for the minimally invasive procedure. While only a physician or surgeon can give you a complete medical evaluation, the criteria listed here should help you get started. You may also want to ask your surgeon about other criteria he or she may use.
LAP-BAND® may be right for you if:
- Your Body Mass Index (BMI) is at least 40, or
- your BMI is 35 or higher with one or more obesity-related health condition. Check your BMI.
- you are at least 100 lbs overweight.
- You are at least 18 years old.
- You have been overweight for more than 5 years.
- Your serious weight loss attempts have had only short-term success.
- You are not currently suffering from any other disease that may have caused your excess weight.
- You are prepared to make major changes in your eating habits and lifestyle.
- You do not drink alcohol in excess.
- You are not currently pregnant. (Note: If you become pregnant after having this procedure, the band can be adjusted for the duration of your pregnancy.)
The LAP-BAND® System is a minimally invasive procedure that has helped thousands of people lose weight. But be aware that there are reasons why you may not be a candidate. You and your doctor should review your medical history to make your medical decisions together.
Keep in mind that only a qualified physician/surgeon can properly evaluate all the factors in your case. This result is a guideline for you, and can help you make the decision to seek more information about weight loss surgery using the LAP-BAND® System.